Thank you to all EBAN Annual Congress 2023 attendees!
We hope that you enjoyed attending the EBAN Annual Congress 2023 as much as we enjoyed organising it.
Relive the experience and see pictures from the event days and Gala Awards Dinner below.
EBAN Congress is about...
...and much more!
Key Takeaways from the 2023 EBAN Annual Congress:
- Gender Inclusivity in Investing: The Congress placed a strong emphasis on the urgent need to address gender biases within the investment landscape. Throughout multiple sessions, speeches, and panel discussions, the topic of creating more opportunities for women in angel investing took centre stage. Gender-diverse teams outperform homogeneous teams in various aspects, including decision-making, innovation, and financial returns. Lars Rasmussen, the co-founder of Google Maps, shared his insight during the Congress, highlighting an interesting correlation in his portfolio. He observed that when teams were solely composed of one gender, the performance was weaker compared to diverse teams. This correlation raises the question: is it merely a coincidence? By actively addressing the gender gap, the event aimed to cultivate an investment ecosystem that not only promotes fairness and social justice but also harnesses the power of diverse perspectives and talents. The integration of gender equality in investing not only drives innovation but also fuels sustainable economic growth, benefiting both individuals and the wider society.
- Soft Skills Count – Empowering Entrepreneurs: By presenting risks as opportunities and emphasising the importance of soft skills such as determination, tenacity, and drive, the #EBANCongress sessions and workshops aimed to empower entrepreneurs with the tools and knowledge needed to navigate the early stages of their ventures and attract investment. This emphasis on soft skills acknowledged their crucial role in building relationships, inspiring confidence, and fostering the growth and success of startups.
- Invest in your Network: The event highlighted that investing in your network is a strategic move that can yield significant benefits in both personal and professional spheres. Building and nurturing meaningful connections with diverse individuals can open doors to new opportunities, collaborations, and invaluable support. Networking allows you to exchange knowledge, gain fresh perspectives, and stay updated on industry trends. In today’s interconnected world, recognising the value of investing in your network is a powerful step towards unlocking a wealth of opportunities and achieving long-term success.
- Cross-Border Investing: The Congress highlighted the immense potential for angel investors in the CEE (Central and Eastern Europe) and SEE (Southeastern Europe) regions and also brought attention to the vast opportunities for angel investors in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, focusing on fostering cross-border investments and collaborations. In addition to highlighting success stories and sharing strategies, the event provided a global perspective by incorporating trends and views from influential investors and experts in the United States. This global outlook emphasised the importance of expanding investment horizons beyond traditional markets and exploring emerging economies. The Congress aimed to create a more interconnected and dynamic investment landscape that leverages the potential of diverse regions and drives innovation on a global scale.
- Innovation and Sustainability: Multiple sessions delved into the importance of fostering innovation and sustainability within the startup ecosystem. Discussions centred around EU programs for startups and angels and public and private initiatives supporting research and development. These conversations emphasised the role of responsible startups in driving positive change.
Hot picks from the 2023 Agenda
Lars Rasmussen is a Danish computer scientist, technology executive, and the co-founder of Google Maps. He was the director of engineering for Facebook in London. In early 2003, Lars and his brother Jens co-founded a mapping-related startup, Where 2 Technologies, which was acquired by Google in October 2004. Rasmussen became the head of the Google Maps team and worked at Google until joining Facebook in late 2010.
In 1990, Rasmussen graduated from the University of Aarhus with a degree in Computer Science and Mathematics. He gained his MSc in Computer Systems Engineering from the University of Edinburgh in 1992.
Rasmussen began his PhD, working with Mark Jerrum and Alistair Sinclair in the Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science at Edinburgh, then moved, with Sinclair, to Berkeley, California, USA.
He received his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley in 1998, for his thesis “On Approximating the Permanent and Other #P-Complete Problems”.
Joined by our friends from the Angel Capital Association in the US, we will hear the latest developments happening on the other side of the Atlantic and how angels and their portfolio companies are keeping up in a rather turbulent 2023. Marcia Dawood (ACA and then add network she is from in US) and Ron Weissman (ACA and Band of Angels, Silicon Valley) will be walking us through the facts and the figures that can help you make better angel investment decisions.
Setting up a vibrant startup and early stage investment ecosystem can differ a lot depending on where you are on the map and on what foundations you are building on. Together with ecosystem builders and shakers from all over Europe, we will dive deep into the topic and find out some of the secrets behind growing your local entrepreneurship and investment community. If you have experiences to share or learnings you want to collect, this session is just for you.
European investors and entrepreneurs looking for markets with huge growth need to look no further than MENA. During this session, we will learn more about the startup and early stage investment actors shaping the future from North Africa, Levant and the Gulf regions as well as how foreigners can invest or scale businesses in this part of the world.